Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Why are you looking at me?

So how many times have you been out somewhere and your child decided to have a meltdown in public?  I know we have all been there!  I know we have all experienced those delightful glares from people around us as well! 

  This is a blog by Techydad who experiences just this and explains it perfectly.

I used to be one of those glaring people thinking, "OMG, control your kid or leave!!"

BUT,

Now I am a Mama and I have gotten that look from others. 
After experiencing the meltdowns in public (the grocery store was a popular place for that), I can say that I have felt the millions of glaring eyes and whispers behind me and I have felt alone and embarrassed thinking I couldn't control my child.
I needed to figure out what to do to rectify the issue when it happened so I wouldn't embarrass myself and annoy others with a screaming child. While it seems that I am giving in to my once mentality of "control your kid or leave", maybe I am just keeping in mind how I felt.  I didn't  ( and still don't) go to a restaurant to sit next to a screaming child.   I wanted/want  to enjoy myself without a child screaming the entire time. 

I decided that it was best to leave wherever I was with my daughter and calm her down.  If it worked we would return inside, if not, we left.  I have left carts of groceries in the middle of shopping and packed meals to go just after it arrived at the table.  There were times I brought Soph to the car for a time out and times when she was just beyond a time out and we drove home.
I want to be courteous to the people around me and at the same time focus on my daughter to calm her down.  There was no reason to have her so upset while i finish shopping or eating a meal.


Tantrums are few and far between in public now that Soph is 5 yrs old but I remember feeling alone and embarrassed so when I see a parent having this experience and they look upset, I make a point to go over and tell them it's ok, we have all been through meltdowns. 





WHAT HAS YOUR EXPERIENCE BEEN?




I think it's important parents, mothers especially, support each other.  I think this is ESPECIALLY important right after a mother gives birth.  Postpartum depression is real and can have a negative effect if not treated.  Next week's post will be about Postpartum depression.... stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment