Monday, July 11, 2011

preschool or daycare.....

My first post discussed HOW to find a preschool but Natasha suggested more information about the difference between a preschool and a daycare.

Dr Hackney gives a really good yet brief description.  There are also follow up videos.

http://www.5min.com/Video/Preschool-VS-Daycare-155908239

Sophia started her life with a private sitter for about 2 yrs.  I realized that she needed more education in her day. She was learning and soaking everything in like a sponge.  I am a single mom so I needed care that was going to extend throughout the workday but I also wanted someplace in which she would be LEARNING.

I researched and went to uncountable places until I found one I thought was suitable. After only 1 yr I realized that Sophia was not being challenged enough.  She was learning to count to 10 and the colors and shapes.  She was far more advanced than this and I didn't want to hold her back so the next summer, I looked for a new school.  I found a school that challenged Sophia's learning, and was flexible for daycare.  The first place was a daycare while the second place was a preschool.

No one knows your child better than you so let your child be your guide as to what they are ready for. Daycare is usually for the younger children while preschool for 3 yrs and up.  I hope this helps.

Good Luck!

Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment