Friday, August 26, 2011

First day of school jitters......

Remember back when you were in school.  Come on, it wasn't that long ago!  I know I was always nervous for the first day.  Sophia has gone to preschool for the last 3 years but she is starting Kindergarten this year and has been very apprehensive about the first day.  She has blatantly told me that she is NOT going to Kindergarten.

I know that there are many of you who have mentioned that you have children starting kindergarten this year.  Have you also experienced this apprehensiveness?


What have you done to try to make the transition easier?

I have reassured Sophia that she knows people already from soccer and the library so she will have friends at her new school already.  We also bought a new dress special for the first day and talked about how mommy and daddy will bring her to school the first day and then explained the before and after program to her so she understands when mommy will be picking her up and dropping her off. I have also done trial runs to the school and then to my school to get a feeling for a time frame and Sophia got to see how we will get to school and where mommy will be going after I drop her off.
We also went to orientation to meet and greet the teachers and principal and also tour the building.

I think all of these things has eased Sophia's mind a bit, this week she is excited about starting school.

For more information about this check out this article:


http://school.familyeducation.com/slideshow/kindergarten/38785.html


Would love to hear your experiences and ideas.

Dawn

1 comment:

  1. Hi new follower hoping you will follow us back at http://www.beckvalleybooks.blogspot.com thks in advance xx

    ReplyDelete