Sunday, August 21, 2011

Its that time of the year...What do you do to get everyone ready and fed?

School is starting soon in the northeast, so I am already thinking about how I can make breakfast an easier transition with getting everyone up, dressed, fed and off to school without going bonkers.

At the end of last school year, I started packing lunches the night before so I only had to open the fridge and put lunches into lunch bags.  This year will be somewhat easier since Sophia will have the option to eat lunch at school too. 
 

We have also started picking out clothes the night before, though Sophia may change her mind in the morning, which throws a wrench in the plan, but mostly made dressing easier.


Then there is feeding time....

Sophia and I both ate breakfast either in the car on the way to school or when we got there.  I do not know if this is yet an option for us at the new morning program.  Sophia and I really aren't breakfast kind of people.   However, I keep trying to instill in Sophia that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and modeling breakfast eating myself. 

Why should we all eat breakfast?

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day because It gives you the energy you need to make it through the rest of the day.

Eating breakfast means that you are more likely to make healthier choices to eat throughout the day.


Eating breakfast can also make it less likely to overeat during the day because it fills your belly.


For more information check this Mayo Clinic website....



http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-and-nutrition/AN01119




What should we have for a healthy breakfast on the go?

After reading this article, http://www.cookinglight.com/eating-smart/smart-choices/12-smart-ideas-for-breakfast-on-go-00400000001601/ , I realized that I have been promoting healthy choices for breakfast (patting myself on the back :).  ) 

Often crunched for time in the morning, I would grab a yogurt for Sophia and a piece of fruit or a cheese stick and some pretzels or crackers, I would whip up egg wraps the night before and wrap them in the fridge for the morning, I would make peanut butter and jelly, cream cheese and jelly or peanut butter and banana sandwiches on wheat bread or whole grain english muffins, or sometimes make oatmeal in a paper cup with a plastic spoon.   Sophia also fell in love with oatmeal breakfast cookies, made by Quaker. 

I have often questioned if this was a healthy choice and decided I would like to make my own version of oatmeal breakfast cookies.  The problem being that they don't stay good for long.  They can be frozen but I am not yet sure how well they thaw.  With the help of a montage of other recipes online, I came up with one myself that is a huge hit and I control what goes into them!

Check out my recipe blog at http://yumeeemama.blogspot.com/ for breakfast cookie recipe and plenty of other week night friendly recipes after a long day at work.

What do you give the Kiddos for breakfast?

What do you do to make the mornings run smoother?

I hope one or more of these ideas help make you have a better school morning.

Thanks,

Dawn


No comments:

Post a Comment