Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Does your child eat school lunches?

ok, I watched the finale of Jaime Oliver's Food revolution tonight.  Jaime's message this season was that he can't not make the change himself, we (PARENTS) have to get off our bums and make the change.

I have to tell you that as a teacher, I can not even count how many times I have heard the kids in my class say they wouldn't eat the lunch that day because it was "nasty".  This link is the menu for the last month of school in the Philadelphia School District.

http://www.meredith.phila.k12.pa.us/satellitelunchme.html

While you look at the menu it doesn't sound so bad.  However, the food is not made fresh.  The food comes in pre packed containers and are heated up in a warming oven.

This infuriates me so much more because we have a state of the art kitchen in my school that has appliances a chef would kill to cook with!


The following link is to the USDA website but I found that they give limited information.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/Lunch/

As parents, we all cook within a budget and i don't know anyone who eats frozen dinners everynight for supper so why can't schools do the same and make our children fresh, healthy food?



I would love to hear your opinions and maybe suggestions on how we can start a revolution of our own in Philadelphia schools.

Thanks,

Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment